Saturday, July 16, 2022

We Begin by Saying Dear Heavenly Mother



Art by Emily Shay

I volunteered to say the prayer in Sunday School. I was sitting in the front row to support my friend who was nervous about teaching. 

When I stood and bowed my head,

"Our Heavenly Mother," is what I said.

I plead with Her to keep us safe,

I did not know my words would chafe.

I reach to my Heavenly Mother,

In Her, I find another,

Another mother, a woman like me,

It's so refreshing to see,

someone who looks like me.

She is a God, the pinnacle of human existence.

Praying to Her, it closes the distance

between me and who I can become

It just feels so very wholesome

To speak to Her, to ask and plead

To have a woman like me to lead

I am not secondary, not forgotten

not a child misbegotten

I am divine, equal and complete

I can withstand any defeat

You may say I am in the wrong

But when I pray, I feel strong

I am powerful and worthy of

recognition, leadership, and love.

So it may bother you

that I am doing something new,

But it is mine to do and say

what brings me to my God each day

and I will reach to Her and sing

praises to Her name to bring

peace to my heart and soul,

that Her love and mercy I will know.

Wrapped in Her eternal love,

I will not feel each pinch or shove.

Mock me if you must,

But I will not adjust.

My soul, My yearning and desire

You may think my choices dire,

But, in praying to my Heavenly Mother

I find another

small reason to stay

in this church where they often say

You are secondary, ornamental

don't be so sentimental.

Sit down and listen, stay in your place

Later on you may have space

To lead, to testify,

to teach and rectify

Your position as an equal

to this work, there is a sequel.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, such beautiful and well written words!

Anonymous said...

I’m saving this beautiful piece in case you have to delete it for the church

Kiley Prince said...

Tears. ❤️ I love it.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful and thought provoking. Your words are profound.