Wednesday, September 11, 2013

connections


I've been thinking about this post for a few days but haven't really gotten to flesh it out yet so sorry if it doesn't make much sense, "roughewn" right?

I believe humanity is recognizing yourself in others. Making a connection to someone else can be powerful, poignant, and honest. I connect with others through music, art, writing. I see myself reflected back or what I would like to be or become. I would like to be bold and self-assured like my sisters, kind like my husband, outgoing like my mom, eloquent like my brother, calm like my dad. I hear my song on another's lips, feel the beat of my heart in music and see myself in art; everything is filtered through self . Eyes watching, ears hearing, body moving. Striving to emulate good traits in others. Deep connections make us who we are. However, the opportunities for shallow connections abound in social media . Don't get me wrong, casual acquaintances are fun and necessary but I also need solid, real-life friends who can see me for who I am and really know me, My thoughts, aspirations, disappointments and dreams. I find these deep connections reassuring. I like to discuss ideas and opinions but with just a few true friends; too many and I feel overwhelmed. Sometimes our culture encourages us to collect friends like stamps, the more you have the better you are, popularity being a contest someone can win. I like to make friends who help me become myself, Who help me express myself not because of the money I will make or the acclaim I will receive but because I want to connect in real and meaningful ways to other human beings. sometimes I get caught up in wondering if I have good ideas or not, if my thoughts are worthy of a blog post or of being recorded in a book but I doubt that is what motivated Aristotle or Michelangelo or Einstein to do the things they did. Great minds do what they do for self expression and that's outside of prestige or recognition. They did what they did because it needed to be done that's why I want to write because I feel some things need to be said and I want to give others the opportunity to connect with me with my ideas, thoughts, feelings because that connection can be so meaningful and rewarding it's why we create; to say here am I, see me, are you like me? are you different?

No comments: