Thursday, January 18, 2024

Ranking

 More on the points system I referenced in my post about Barbie...

Women get points for lots of things, being thin, marrying young, snagging a really good looking guy. In Mormon Land we also get points for having lots and lots of babies, like a dozen or so, and for being pregnant continuously, for breast feeding each baby because "Breast is Best." We can also accrue points by getting our bodies back after pregnancy, wearing makeup, smiling and being sweet and kind, quiet and supportive and well, small. Waiting for a pat on the head from a man. Smiling and looking doe eyed is especially point worthy. 

Motherhood, it turns out, is a whole minefield of points, both earning and losing. You bought organic produce? More points for you! Homemade, clean eating, gluten-free, dairy-free, plant-based? Points! Points and more Points! Bonus points for every time you say my kids will never eat that! 

Bonus points for homeschooling your kids, for being their one and only mother, nurse, maid, cook, cleaner, gym teacher, math teacher, social studies teacher, counselor, therapist, stylist, personal assistant and coach. What's that? A whole village? A network of people to raise my kids, not me! I can do it on my own with all these points I've earned. 

Isolating and surrounded. You mirror them, they mirror you and nobody looks good. 

No technology, more points, no liberal ideas, more points. Patriotic? You just scored the Mother-load!  

No comments: