Saturday, May 18, 2013

Gender roles

I believe a woman can be a very distinct influence on those around her. As a budding adolescent, it seemed a woman's power or influence was based mainly in her sex appeal; what she could accomplish by compelling or persuading men to do her bidding, by blinding them with her beauty or distracting them by how much skin she was showing.
Having two baby girls has given me reason to ponder womanhood and how I view my power or influence; I've become more sensitive to promiscuous behavior and sexual innuendos in music, television and movies, often objectifying women as sex symbols. I want to clarify my own understanding of womanhood and the wonderful experiences and roles my gender provides in an effort to fortify my daughters against the onslaught of influences they are sure to encounter by adolescence.
I believe women too often bare their beautiful and alluring bodies to all instead of honoring themselves and saving those parts that are most precious for one who will earn the right to their intimacy. There is an attraction between the sexes that is wonderful and very desirable in a loving and committed relationship.
I feel womanhood is full of beautiful and unique experiences to be cherished by mothers teaching their daughters and sisters sharing feelings, a feminist movement among us would have women believe that they are just as good as men, they can work just as hard, earn just as much money and have the same jobs as men. Which just isn't true, men are endowed with distinct abilities and responsibilities separate from but equal to those of women. We are torn between feeling our only worth is found in the bedroom and being treated exactly like a man, ignoring the sweet and sensitive differences that are our god-given gifts. Well, I'm here to say I am not a man and I never want to be. My husband is a scruffy, charming, muscular mystery to me and I like it that way. I read an interview once where Goldie Hawn rejoiced in the differences between her and her husband and cautioned wives everywhere to do the same. She said something like "I wouldn't want him to be just like me, I'm a woman and he's a man, that's how it's supposed to be." Of course I enjoy having an intimate relationship with my husband but I also need women in my life, my mom, my sisters and friends who understand me in a way he just never will. Nor should I expect him to.
I relish the relationship between men and women; we teach and love and inspire each other to become better and more complete. I embrace my womanhood, my tenderness and kindness, my role in my home and family. Fresh flowers, sweet-smells, loving smiles and kindness, these are strong feminine traits.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love this! My friends and I were talking about being feminists the other day. And I told them I am one- but my definition of feminism is that I feel every woman should feel empowered to do whatever she wants- from stay at home mom to CEO and that she should feel her choice is valid and respected. I think feminism means different things to different people and it's important to embrace how you see it and what it means to you.